Monday, May 16, 2011

Lorenzo the 'llama' of San Victorino

Lorenzo (right) and his owner (left). Any resemblance is purely imaginary. 
Lorenzo's one of the denizens of San Victorino Plaza, where his owner shows him off to kids, families and the occasional tourist. Lorenzo's not really a llama - he's half alpaca and half vicuña. There are no native Colombian camelids, so he's not Colombian-born, either, but an immigrant from Peru.

Lorenzo knows me, but I suspect that he doesn't really love me - just wants the corn kernels I usually give him. Lorenzo chomps them up with his disarrayed teeth. He also laps up coffee.

Don't eat my fingers! Lorenzo munches corn. 
Lorenzo smiles


Mommy, he's eating my fingers!


The popularity of getting photographed with and riding camelids (the group which includes llamas, alpacas and vicuñas) has produced a population explosion in central Bogotá. 

A baby llama, with alpaca blood. Its parents came from Ecuador. Many human immigrants from Ecuador sell stuff on San Victorino Plaza, but they often get harrassed by the police.  
Not such a fun llama ride for this kid. 
By Mike Ceaser, of Bogotá Bike Tours

No comments: